Hi there 🙂
I lost daylight before I could get started on the cake baking and then I had to change the light bulbs in my room (got the wrong bulbs, had to go back get them changed)
so for now, here’s the recipe for the jam I made yesterday (it’s been sitting in the fridge chilling since then) you can replace the fruit with whatever fruit you fancy or even use a store-bought thick-set preserve of your liking.
The things you will need (the things I used):
– a mix of nectarines and a plum that were going soft because summer hurts my fruits
I used 1 yellow nectarine, 2 smaller white nectarines and a single black plum
– some cornstarch/cornflour (tbh don’t know the difference between the two)
– raw (cane?) sugar
– some love and affection
– a non-stick pan (cooks faster in a pan than a pot but if you’re making a giant batch you could use a deep pot) and a spatula
Method: (makes about 200 ml of jam)
– cut up all the fruit and remove any pits (and eat some of the fruit coz snacks are good)
– use a chopping device of some sort to almost puree the fruit, really it depends on how chunky you want the jam to be.
my yellow nectarine stayed more chunky than the others probably coz it wasn’t as ripe as the others were
– add all the fruit puree/mash to a pot/pan and heat on medium heat
– once the mixture starts simmering, add in the sugar 1 tbsp at a time. I ended up using 3 tbsp but depending on how sweet your fruit is and how sweet you enjoy it, alter the sugar as needed
– once all the sugar is incorporated into the jam, turn down the heat and simmer for a couple of minutes on low heat (or as small of a flame as your stove can manage)
– add 1 to 1.5 teaspoons of cornstarch into the mixture and stir
– let the now pretty thick mixture simmer one last time then turn off the stove and let it cool to room temperature before transferring it into an air-tight box or jar to store.
DO NOT PUT HOT JAM INTO A JAR AND THEN IMMEDIATELY INTO YOUR FRIDGE.
Will be back tomorrow with the cakes and the stacking process 🙂 Apologies for not having a full post out today, I didn’t anticipate being daft at the woolies this arvo.